The Church Council is responsible for the oversight of the whole of the congregation’s life. The council includes 10 elected members (the Elders of the congregation) and our Minister of the Word. Meetings are held monthly on the second Tuesday and the council also participates in an Annual Retreat.
Elders are elected at a Congregational Meeting each November. Nominees must be confirmed members of the UCA or members-in-association (ie confirmed members of another denomination). Meet our current elders. We’re always on the lookout for potential future Elders, so if you’re interested in serving in this way, contact Shawn Whelan (0418 613 898) for more information.
Policies and key decisions
Our work is guided by BUC’s Strategic Plan 2018-21.
The following pages will be progressively updated for members to access policies and other key decisions of Church Council.
- Culture of Safety
- Use of our facilities
- Reporting and communication with committees
- Matters for future consideration
The work of the Church Council is supported by ten committees / areas of responsibility which form two broad groups:
- Doing (engaging with people within and beyond the congregation): Worship; Pastoral Care; Children, Youth & Young Adult; Justice & Mission; Discipleship & Education
- Enabling (supporting our ministries, programs and activities): Finance; Communications; Property; Providing Support; Wider Church.
A number of our committees themselves oversee other (sub)committees, programs and activities. Committees report to the monthly Council meetings.
The map above provides a ‘snapshot’ of the committees and roles of the Council and the corresponding areas of responsibility. In 2012 we developed the ‘Working Together’ documents in order to provide a comprehensive framework to guide committees and individuals in their work.
Find out more about each of the committees here:
- BUC Giving Methods
- BUC Budget
- Requesting reimbursement (coming soon)
- Apply for leave (coming soon)
- Income & Expenditure statement 30th June 2018 (coming soon)