The second forum for this project will be held after worship, 11:30am on 22nd September. All welcome! We hope you’ll be able to attend the next two sessions as well. Childcare will be available, and we’re happy to consider other requests that make it easier for you to attend – please let us know! See the Merri Project page for more information.
Let the earth speak
Save the dates – The BUC Arts committee together with the Justice & Mission committee is delighted to invite you to join us for a Visual Arts Exhibition and program of events at Brunswick UC, 27 September to 6 October 2018, 212 Sydney Rd Brunswick. Pick up a postcard.
Season of Creation
Beginning on 22nd September and through until 20th October our worship will be shaped by reflection on and engagement with creation. Our exhibition ‘Let the earth speak’ will provide inspiration for this season of worship.
October & November roster
The worship roster is being prepared for October and November. Please email email@example.com if you would like to get involved. There are lots of different ways to participate and offer your time!
October Olive Branch
Our next monthly newsletter will be published on Sunday 29th September. Please email your notices, news, reports, stories, photos and any other contributions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 23rd September.
Wider Church News
Resilient Women Project
This report addresses the complex patterns of Islamophobia and how it shapes prejudice against Muslim women in Victoria. Drawing on the data from forums and participatory-action workshops held across Victoria, this report reflects on the lived experiences of Muslim women as victims of prejudice and examines its unique impacts owing to the intersecting spaces Muslim women occupy. It also explores the impact upon both identity and belonging as Australian Muslim women, as well as the many challenges to accessing justice that were disclosed. The report is available here.
International Day of Peace
A forum to build a shared understanding of the United Nations International Day of Peace will be held at Hartwell Church of Christ, Camberwell on Saturday 21st September, 7:30pm. Read more.
Global Climate Strike
- 11.30am-1.15pm start the day with members of members of ARRCC handing out leaflets outside the offices of GHD, 180 Lonsdale Street, at asking their staff to abandon plans to work with Adani
- 12.30pm-1.30pm multi-faith service in the Hall at Wesley Church, 148 Lonsdale Street
- 1.30pm Walk from Wesley Church to join up at 1.45pm with people marching with UC Synod at Gordon water fountain, corner of Spring and Macarthur Streets
- 2pm-4pm be part of the HUGE RALLY starting at Treasury Gardens then march through city: details here
Comedy about climate action:
Two comedy shows with a climate action theme at Melbourne Fringe Festival Killing the Planet is Against My Religion, Tejopala Rawls (discount code #ClimateStrike for opening night Monday 23rd September 8.20pm) which is preceded by An Inconvenient Comedy Show, “Comedians saving the world, one seven-minute stand-up set at a time”, same venue at 7.10pm.
The Brunswick Uniting Church Justice and Mission group (JAM) is inviting members of the congregation to join and help lead a Climate Action Group. The key purposes of this group will be to:
- Assist existing groups within BUC to provide a coordinated approach to actions involving climate change
- Inform the congregation about climate change actions within the congregation and the wider community and encourage involvement in these actions
- Help the congregation to consider declaring a Climate Emergency.