Let the earth speak
Save the dates – The BUC Arts committee together with the Justice & Mission committee is delighted to invite you to join us for a Visual Arts Exhibition and program of events at Brunswick UC, 27 September to 6 October 2018, 212 Sydney Rd Brunswick. Find out more.
Culture of Safety program
Moderator – Denise
Stewart Lodge & residents
YUCY & YUCY-OG
Synod of VicTas
Creatures of the sea
Wesley is a member of our congregation and a retired minister. Read his story in Crosslight, written by Julie Perrin, a writer and also member of our congregation.
A Simple Act of Service
Seeking a regular Worship attender to re-stock morning tea catering supplies. Involves topping up basic BUC catering supplies from the Food Co-op. Can be done on 3rd Saturday of the month while Co-op is operating or on any Sunday by arrangement. Please contact Helen Rowe on 0423 009 813 if you can assist and for further details. Thank you.
- Fancy Dress: 70s & 80s Rock
- Intermission Games
- Lip Sync & Air Guitar Competition to ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’.
- Earn the most donations for your performance to win Freddie Mercury’s Golden Moustache!
- Team Kareoke Challenge
Doors open 7pm. Tickets at the door $12/$7. Entry via the Olive Way (Sydney Rd entry).
Register your interest through the Facebook event
Funds raised will go to supporting
Come and participate in a letter writing session in the Olive Way after worship on Sunday 8th September. Deb Blackmore & Mikul Denison will be on hand tosupport you to write lettersto Federal Parliament about refugees, medevac, Biloela family etc…. Resources, writing cards, assistance will be available.
On Saturday 14th September at 2pm Nili and Hamid will getting married in our Church. Nili has been connected with our congregation for a couple of years now. Both she and Hamid are asylum seekers who have no family or friends in Melbourne. They would like to share this occasion with the church. And so, you are invited to come and celebrate with them at their ceremony (which will be short and informal) and afternoon tea afterwards. Please let me (Ian: email@example.com) know if you are able to come and support them in this way.
During worship on 15th September we will offer our second Welcoming Ceremony for the year. This will be an opportunity for people who are new to the congregation to name Brunswick UC as their spiritual home. Participants are invited to share a little of their story, then they and we make commitments to each other. Contact Ian Ferguson if you would like to participate, 0438 547 842
After the Welcoming Ceremony on 15th September everyone is welcome to stay on for a Pot Luck Lunch. If your surname starts with A-J please bring something savoury (main course, nibbles, bread, salad) and if it starts with K-Z please bring something sweet (dessert, fruit, drinks). RSVP to Saide Cameron, firstname.lastname@example.org by 8th September with details of what you are planning to bring so that we have an idea of numbers and time to make adjustments if necessary.
Phil Kreveld, on of the lead artists with the Olive Arts Collective, will be holding an exhibition ‘Landscape of Memories’ from 12-26 September. Everyone is welcome. More info.
Wider Church News
On the Edge – a series of interactive workshops facilitated by Graeme Garrett and Jan Morgan, 29th August, 12th & 26th September, will offer a contemplative space for exploration, meditation, silence and practicing attention in nature. Bookings at: email@example.com
Mental Health Kit for Congregations
Sunday 15th September, 1:30pm, Brunswick UC. You are invited to the launch of the Mental Health Kit for Congregations to be launched by Professor Allan Fells AO, former Chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and now a Commissioner on the Victorian Royal Commission into Mental Health. More info.
RSVP: By 10 September to assist with catering firstname.lastname@example.org or 9340 8815
The Global Climate Strike on Friday 20th September 2pm-4pm will be held three days before world leaders meet in New York for the UN Climate Action Summit. This is more than a Students Climate Strike, people from all walks of life who care about a safe climate future are being asked to strike from their usual work and join large gatherings in numerous locations around Australia. On the day of the climate strike (prior to the big rally) an ARRCC multi-faith service will be held at 12.30pm in Nicholas Hall next to Wesley Uniting Church in Melbourne CBD.
Also coming up:
- GreenFaith ARRCC “Living The Change” on Sunday 8th September, 2.30-5pm at the Multicultural Hub, 506 Elizabeth St, Melbourne gather with members of diverse faith communities and those who care for our planet to share stories of change, transformation, and regeneration. Free, but please RSVP for catering numbers.
- Two comedy shows with a climate action theme at Melbourne Fringe Festival Killing the Planet is Against My Religion, Tejopala Rawls (discount code #ClimateStrike for opening night Monday 23rd September 8.20pm) which is preceded by An Inconvenient Comedy Show, “Comedians saving the world, one seven-minute stand-up set at a time”, same venue at 7.10pm.
- Assist existing groups within BUC to provide a coordinated approach to actions involving climate change
- Inform the congregation about climate change actions within the congregation and the wider community and encourage involvement in these actions
- Help the congregation to consider declaring a Climate Emergency.