Joint Nominating Committee
Carlynne – MoW candidate
Olive Way program
Pastoral Care Committee
Justice & Mission Committee
Sunday Morning Program
Non-Violent Direct Action
Presbytery of Port Philip West
Creatures of the land
Death in October
Death in October is a four week series being offered on Thursdays in Octoberby the Discipleship & Education Committee.
- Voluntary Assisted Dying Forum – Q&A with an expert on the Victorian legislation, a theologian and a pastoral educator on Thursday 11th October, 7:30pm in the Church.
- Advanced Care Planning Workshop – You decide who decides – be open, be ready, be heard – guidance in preparing an advanced care plan on Thursday 18th October, 7:30pm in the Olive Way
- Grief & Loss – An experiential session to reflect on your losses – a safe and loving place to just be on Thursday 25th October, 7pm in the Church.
The Olive Pesto Group have their sights set on all things Christmas in preparation for the Act for Peace Christmas Bowl appeal stalls to be held after worship on the first two Sundays in December. If you want to join in the fun of creating Christmas craft join the group on the first Saturday of the month, 6th October and 3rd November in the Youth Hall. Contact Linda Wannan, 0405 470 568, for more information and/or check out the September newsletter.
Blessing the Animals
Bring your pet(s) or a photo if that’s easier/safer to worship on 14th October for a special blessing. We offer this blessing in response to the Feast of St. Francis of Assis (4/10). We will also pray for animals and pets we have loved and lost and for species threatened by extinction and for those already lost to our planet.
Student House Working Bee
Join us at the Student Houses after worship on 14th October from 11:30am-1pm. The focus of the working bee will be gardening and general cleaning up. Bring along your gardening tools (fork, spade, rake, trowel, secateurs/pruners etc. and gloves). We also need some strong folks to join us on the day, since we are going to remove some unwanted furniture from the houses to be picked up in hard rubbish.
Your rewards will be time spent working together and a delicious lunch at 1pm. Bring whatever tools you think will help with the work and please RSVP to Valentina Satvedi Leydon, our Interim Student House Support Worker, 0456 099 448 by 11th October to assist with catering for lunch.
More than Cut & Paste
Unfortunately the Collage Workshop scheduled to start on 30th September has been postponed. Stay tuned for a new starting date. Contact Ann Soo for further information, 0422 842 244.
Café Style Morning Tea & Appreciative Enquiry
This event, scheduled for 7th October, has been also been postponed until further notice.
Pick my Project
The results for our submission have been received. Sadly with only 65 votes we were unsuccessful in receiving funding for the Contemplative Gardendesigned for the space in front of the Youth Hall. The JAM committee hopes that some of aspects of this project will be realized with the support of the congregation.
Please note on page 14 of the October Olive Branch in the Church Council report the heading ‘Food Co-op’ should read ‘Finance’ in relation to the reclassification of Abi Benham-Bannon’s role.
PIEN Speaking Tour
Our congregation is a major sponsor of this important tour, organised by the Palestine Israel Ecumenical Network. See the latest PIEN update for a message from the speaker Areej.
All details of the PIEN tour (7th-27th October) are available here including three dates in Melbourne (including one hosted by us!!):
- 10th October at 8.00pm – Spirituality in the Pub, The Pumphouse Hotel, 128 Nicholson St, Fitzroy (opp. Carlton Gardens). Meals available at Pub from 6.00pm.
- 17th October at 7:15pm sign in for 7:30pm start – Live Webinar through Ridley College, open to the public. Prior registration required.
- 21st October at 9.30am – Worship at Brunswick Uniting Church. Areej will speak at a forum after worship, the forum will conclude with time for lunch and further discussion. RSVP 18th October to email@example.com so that we can make sure there is enough delicious food for everyone. We’ll be placing an order at A1 bakeries and providing fruit platters as well.
Wider Church News
Family offering to house-sit in January
A Korean Minister, his wife and two sons,are looking for a place to accommodate their mother in January 2019 when she comes to visit from Korea. Their current flat is too small to host their mother and they wondered if there was anyoneplanning to be away on holiday during January,who would be willing to have them look after their home and stay there with their mother for the month of January. If you are able to help, or know of anyone able to help could you please contact: Rev Peter Gador-Whyte, St John’s Essendon, 0417425188, firstname.lastname@example.org
Future of Work & Religious Faith
This ‘Religion in University Symposium‘ for 2018 will be held on Friday 26th October at the Newman College Oratory. Program details here. RSVP Friday 19th October to assist with catering to Rev. Dr. Sunny Chen, The University of Chaplaincy Co-ordinator, email@example.com
As supporters of Uniting Lentara’s Asylum Seeker Programs, we are invited to join the Asylum Seeker Welcome Centre as they participate in the Melbourne Marathon on Sunday 14th October this year. Uniting is getting active at the Melbourne Marathon to raise funds for the Asylum Seeker Project in Brunswick. You can get involved in different ways:
- Sign up to take part! You don’t have to run the full or half marathon – there are also options to walk 3km or run 5 or 10km. You can fundraise as part of our team by going to https://melbournemarathon2018.gofundraise.com.au/page/UnitingFundraising
- Donate to or sponsor one of those taking part. If you go to the team page (https://melbournemarathon2018.gofundraise.com.au/page/UnitingFundraising) you can support the team as a whole or find a friend/colleague and support them.
The ASWC is hoping to raise $2000 through the Marathon, it would appreciate it if you could share these links to your networks and for everyone to beget involved!