6 reasons not to miss Bohemian Rhapsody at BUC, our 2019 fundraiser night:
- It might seem obvious, but to see the film. Not everyone has seen it, for those who have, read on, read on…
- Sing along to your favourite Queen classics, oh, yes there will be musical frivolity.
- “Shooosh” and or throw popcorn at people who have the audacity to speak, sing or otherwise mess with your viewing experience – clearly an inappropriate way to express one’s appreciation in public film screening.
- Invite a friend that you’ve been meaning to catch up with but would prefer to avoid deep and meaningful conversation with for the time being.
- Get that warm fuzzy feeling from fundraising for the Olive Arts Collective and for a Uniting charity supporting people who are homeless or in insecure accommodation.
- Sample some boutique icecream made exclusively for this event (not included in the ticket price… Yep, you got it, it’s a fundraiser.)
7th September, 7pm, tickets at the door, $12/7, raising money for Olive Arts and to support people struggling with homelessness and insecure housing through Uniting.
You are invited to join us for Table Church this Sunday 25 August at the Rowe’s home. Start 6pm (until 8.30pm). We gather around a meal and share in a simple liturgy at the start of a new week. We share prayers for ourselves and others. Open Invitation. Please call Helen on 0423 009 813 if you can attend so we can set a place for you and provide the address.
A Simple Act of Service
Seeking a regular Worship attender to re-stock morning tea catering supplies. Involves topping up basic BUC catering supplies from the Food Co-op. Can be done on 3rd Saturday of the month while Co-op is operating or on any Sunday by arrangement. Please contact Helen Rowe on 0423 009 813 if you can assist and for further details. Thank you.
Wedding Invitation: On Saturday 31st August at 2pm Nili and Hamid will getting married in our Church. Nili has been connected with our congregation for a couple of years now. Both she and Hamid are asylum seekers who have no family or friends in Melbourne. They would like to share this occasion with the church. And so, you are invited to come and celebrate with them at their ceremony (which will be short and informal) and afternoon tea afterwards. Please let me (Ian: firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are able to come and support them in this way.
Let the earth speak
Save the dates – The BUC Arts committee together with the Justice & Mission committee is delighted to invite you to join us for a Visual Arts Exhibition and program of events at Brunswick UC, 27 September to 6 October 2018, 212 Sydney Rd Brunswick. Find out more.
CLEANING, MAINTENANCE AND ROOM BOOKINGS
How to report cleaning issues to at BUC. From now on any issues and concerns about cleaning of the facilities at BUC are to be passed on to Shawn Whelan. Helen Rowe and Jenny Hunter are no longer the contacts for day-to-day cleaning issues. Thank you.
How to report building maintenance and graffiti issues. The Property Committee looks after building maintenance for BUC and the Student House. Contact details of Committee members is in the Directory.
How to make a room booking. This applies to BUC congregation members as well as external users. Bookings are made by contacting Julie via email at email@example.com
Wider Church News
The Resilient Women Project
You are warmly invited to attend The Report Launch of The Resilient Women Project. Over the past five years many of you participated in the workshops and forums, which addressed the complex patterns of Islamophobia and how it shapes prejudice against Muslim women in Victoria. This event will present the report from these forums and workshops, which draws on the lived experiences of Muslim women as victims of prejudice. 29th of August, 5:30pm, 29 College Crescent, Parkville. More info.
105th World Refugee and Migrant Sunday
Sunday 25th of August, 11:00am-1:00pm, Coburg Uniting Church. An afternoon of story and song to recognise the big journeys we make for safe futures. More info.
Mental Health Kit for Congregations
Launch of the Mental Health Kit for Congregations, Sunday 15thSeptember, 1:30pm, Brunswick Uniting Church. Allan Fels, former chairman of the Australian Consumer Commission and current Commissioner on the Victorian Royal Commission into Mental Health will launch the resource. RSVP to Ann Byrne at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 9340 8815. More info.
On the Edge – a series of interactive workshops facilitated by Graeme Garrett and Jan Morgan, 29th August, 12th & 26th September, will offer a contemplative space for exploration, meditation, silence and practicing attention in nature. Bookings at: email@example.com
- No new coal, oil and gas projects, including the Adani mine
- 100% renewable energy generation, and clean energy exports by 2030
- Fund a just transition & job creation for people who work in the fossil-fuel industry
Students around the world are putting awe-inspiring work into organising the next #ClimateStrike, and on Thursday 29 August 6:30-8pm you’re invited to hear from them directly – what it’s like, how they’re going, and what you can do to help make it HUGE! This will be online via Crowdcast – RSVP for details to log in from your computer or smartphone!