Listening to ourselves…listening to each other…listening to the Earth…listening for the voice of God.
This year’s BUC Camp is 24-26 May, at the delightful Adekate Lodge. As the theme suggests, it’s a wonderful opportunity to get to know each other better. Come for the whole weekend, or any part of it! Register at https://www.trybooking.com/BBYDE, with an EARLY BIRD discount of 20% until 12th May – so book now! See the brochure here for all the camp details.
If you have any questions or want to offer to help out in preparation or at the camp please contact our Camp Co-ordinator Anthony Hinds, 0478 692 607 or committee members Shawn Whelan, 0418 613 898, Courtney Rohde, 0448 233 321.
Pop-up Op Shop
Helen Burnham’s world famous op shop will be open for the next two Sundays, 12th & 19th May. Come along for a bargain. Contribute to the seed funding for our next Art Exhibition to be held late September.
We’re looking forward to seeing you Saturday 11th May 10am-12 midday at the Brunswick UC Youth Hall for our next meeting. There’s a few things planned – see newsletter attached – but we can all go at our own pace, and on our own “thing’, so fun is assured to be had by all.
Irish poet and theologian Pádraig Ó Tuama will launch Julie Perrin’s collection of 60 stories Tender, stories that lean into kindness. BUC folk are invited. Do SAVE THE DATE: Saturday May 11th @ 2pm in the church hall. All welcome, light refreshments will be offered.
Ian on Leave
During Ian’s two weeks of leave we welcome
- Valentina Satvedi-Leydon as our preacher on 12th May. Valentina is a member of our congregation and currently our Student House Support Worker. She is an ordained Anabaptist minister.
- Fiona Bottcher on 19th May. Fiona is a member of our congregation, former Olive Way Co-ordinator and currently a candidate for the ministry of Deacon.
Calling all SMP people
SMP Training and BBQ It has been a goodly while since we have had a shot-in-the arm as SMP leaders… so on Sunday 19th May at 11am we’re getting together to get some of the good oil from the lovely way of being with people that is Godly Play…
… then at 12.30 it’s a BBQ for the families of BUC to welcome Dave Hall: BYO salad if you can, grilled things provided (sausages, veggie burgers)
Lost – ladies white double breasted jacket.
Has anyone seen my jacket? I left it in the youth hall three weeks ago. It’s sadly missed and I’d love to hear from anyone who may have seen it or found it. Contact me, 0419 988 972, firstname.lastname@example.org.
World Wide Knit in Public Day
Join us on Saturday 8th June, 11am-5pm, Olive Way. This year’s theme is Knit Give and Respect. Light lunch, afternoon tea, tea & coffee provided. Everyone is welcome, knitters of all abilities. Yarn, needles, turitiona nd patters provided. Do, do, do … sign up here. You can also come on the day if you are not able to commit in advance.
Wider Church News
Ways of Seeing
Three days of Spiritual Workshops, 23rd-25th May at the Carmelite Centre, Middle Park. Check out the details and note the presenters from BUC.
Sex and Politics
“Dr Alana Harris (Kings College, UK) and Commissioner for Gender & Sexuality Ro Allen will be at the next Australian Collaborators in Feminist Theologies event talking “Sex & Politics“. Wednesday 22nd May, 6:30pm. For more details visit: https://www.trybooking.com/BCEFP”
School of Ministry
with Rev. Dr. Samuel Wells – Three events from Thursday 8th to Saturday 10th August at the Centre for Theology & Ministry
Climate Action – For meaningful change to happen, hundreds of thousands of us need to get active, consistently, visually, positively. People Power is the ONLY hope we have. Here are some events you can join in:
- Stop Adani Moreland– usually meets every second Monday at 6:30 pm, East Coburg Community House, 32 Nicholson Street, Coburg
- Help power up our faith-inspired action on the climate emergency, by ARRCC – Australian Religious Response to Climate Change. Find out more, donate now.
- Sign up by Sunday 12th May with Australian Conservation Foundation to Hand out Climate Action Scorecards at polling booths on election day Saturday 18th May, ARRCC is encouraging people of faith to be a visible part of this initiative in the Wills electorate.