6 reasons not to miss Bohemian Rhapsody at BUC, our 2019 fundraiser night:
- It might seem obvious, but to see the film. Not everyone has seen it, for those who have, read on, read on…
- Sing along to your favourite Queen classics, oh, yes there will be musical frivolity.
- “Shooosh” and or throw popcorn at people who have the audacity to speak, sing or otherwise mess with your viewing experience – clearly an inappropriate way to express one’s appreciation in public film screening.
- Invite a friend that you’ve been meaning to catch up with but would prefer to avoid deep and meaningful conversation with for the time being.
- Get that warm fuzzy feeling from fundraising for the Olive Arts Collective and for a Uniting charity supporting people who are homeless or in insecure accommodation.
- Sample some boutique icecream made exclusively for this event (not included in the ticket price… Yep, you got it, it’s a fundraiser.)7th September, 7pm, tickets at the door, $12/7, raising money for Olive Arts and to support people struggling with homelessness and insecure housing through Uniting. More info.
A Simple Act of Service
Seeking a regular Worship attender to re-stock morning tea catering supplies. Involves topping up basic BUC catering supplies from the Food Co-op. Can be done on 3rd Saturday of the month while Co-op is operating or on any Sunday by arrangement. Please contact Helen Rowe on 0423 009 813 if you can assist and for further details. Thank you.
Wedding Invitation: On Saturday 14th September at 2pm Nili and Hamid will getting married in our Church. Nili has been connected with our congregation for a couple of years now. Both she and Hamid are asylum seekers who have no family or friends in Melbourne. They would like to share this occasion with the church. And so, you are invited to come and celebrate with them at their ceremony (which will be short and informal) and afternoon tea afterwards. Please let me (Ian: email@example.com) know if you are able to come and support them in this way.
Let the earth speak
Save the dates – The BUC Arts committee together with the Justice & Mission committee is delighted to invite you to join us for a Visual Arts Exhibition and program of events at Brunswick UC, 27 September to 6 October 2018, 212 Sydney Rd Brunswick. Find out more.
Phil Kreveld, on of the lead artists with the Olive Arts Collective, will be holding an exhibition ‘Landscape of Memories’ from 12-26 September. Everyone is welcome. More info.
Wider Church News
On the Edge – a series of interactive workshops facilitated by Graeme Garrett and Jan Morgan, 29th August, 12th & 26th September, will offer a contemplative space for exploration, meditation, silence and practicing attention in nature. Bookings at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Kit for Congregations
Sunday 15th September, 1:30pm, Brunswick UC. You are invited to the launch of the Mental Health Kit for Congregations to be launched by Professor Allan Fells AO, former Chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and now a Commissioner on the Victorian Royal Commission into Mental Health. More info.
RSVP: By 10 September to assist with catering Ann Byrne@victas.uca.org.au or 9340 8815
Three days before world leaders meet in New York for a UN Climate Action Summit there will be a Global Climate Strike on Friday 20th September 2pm-4pm. This is more than a Students Climate Strike, people from all walks of life who care about a safe climate future are being asked to strike from their usual work and join large gatherings in numerous locations around Australia. On the day of the climate strike (prior to the big rally) an ARRCC multi-faith service will be held at 12.30pm (revised time) in Nicholas hall at Wesley Uniting Church in Melbourne CBD.
The student organisers here in Australia have three clear demands for our leaders:
- No new coal, oil and gas projects, including the Adani mine
- 100% renewable energy generation, and clean energy exports by 2030
- Fund a just transition & job creation for people who work in the fossil-fuel industry